I'm not very good at blogging, so here's some effort. Although I've been in Ecuador for only 3 days, I'm already having trouble writing in english! HA!
Here are some details about my volunteer job. I work as a volunteer/intern at the 24 hour government clinic in Puerto Lopez. Puerto Lopez is a calm, peaceful beach village that where most people walk or take a motor taxi. The pace of life here is easy, and the people are EXTREMELY warm and welcoming. This is TRUE southern hospitality....more southern than Texas! :)
The beach is beautiful! I really enjoy going there. During sunrise, there is an open fish market on the beach where all of the fishermen sell their fresh catches. Also, the women cook the fresh seafood on the beach. This town has a STRONG sense of community and sharing. I'm in love with that aspect. Especially in the hospital. I have been assisting in the emergency room, which houses MANY people at one time without patient confidentiality, it has opened my eyes to see how we often forsake the power of community.
So! I know y'all have been curious about what i've been doing in the hospital, right? Yesterday, I got to assist one of the doctors in suturing, and the doctor even threatened that my friend and I would do the next patient by ourselves when we see her again...! I also got to touch a pregnant lady's cervix....with my own two GLOVED fingers... :) It wasn't so bad! I've noticed that all of the doctors and nurses are crosstrained, so they may do obstetrics and geriatric thangs....Today I had to wash/disinfect the feet of a really old man who walked with a cane. He appeared to have some sort of skin disease that caused him to have really bad blisters and flaking on his feet. He only wore crocs which made his feet more susceptible to filth. Over here there are mainly dirt roads COVERED in trash (everything is covered in trash) and poop. People use the restroom in the streets and stray dogs are rampant. He doesn't own any closed-toed shoes, so he has to get his blistered feet sterilized once a week....only to get them immediately dirty. Today, they put me to work cleaning wounds/stiches and rewrapping them. I even got to remove a stitch! People chuckle at my Spanish BIG TIME lol
As far as the language goes, people speak really fast in this town, and don't want to slow down lol I have ALOT to learn...I feel like i have forgotten the spanish rules, and lost of vocabulary....I often get confused too lollll But people are pretty patient. Great food also!
Welp, this is far as my short attention span would let me go! Love yall peeps!!! <3
No comments:
Post a Comment